Wednesday, October 05, 2005

KOTEL FOR THE FIRST TIME

I am sure everyone gets a completely different feeling when they first visit the Kotel, and then each time following, but let me know if you can relate...
I first viewed "the Wailing Wall" from high above ground, from atop the Old City stone leading down to the main landing. I drew my breath in so fast... it was a sight to behold. So this was where so many Jews gathered... to sing, dance, weep and attempt to become closer to the Creator. With trepidation, I inched closer and closer to the Wall, jaw slightly dropped and eyes wide in wonderment. I had not previously conjured up any image of what I would actually see or what spirit would fill me at the moment I arrived. I continued to glide toward the Wall until I was stroking the aged brick. I pressed my forehead to it, breathed in deeply the fresh scent of tears and prayer, and then pressed my lips to the stone. I allowed my emotions to overtake me, overwhelming me with the empowerment of revealed G-dliness.
Standing there, I felt overwhelming opposing emotions. On the one hand, I felt unified, praying alongside hundreds of Jews, in the holiest place in the universe, with G-d evermore-present. Yet on the other hand, I felt so minute, so small. Who was I? What was I doing, pouring my heart out to G-d? My prayers seemed senseless while standing next to women tearing out their hair and slapping the wall with the fervor of their cries. There I stood, so insignificant, yet an important part of a whole. The sudden realization of my utter impurity brought me swiftly to tears. How could such a horrid person expect retribution? And to be gracing G-d with my presence, here? It felt so wrong. After once again pressing my lips to the aging brick, and slowly backing away from the Wall, I felt a huge weight lifted from my heart. Perhaps this is what I had needed.
To feel pure once more.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this was not your first time at the kotel, was it? you went on israel program!

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

king of the world-powerful

10:44 AM  
Blogger yoniQua said...

yah i went on the israel program last summer, but i relive this each time...or at least try to.

your highness, thanks for checking out my site.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heey baby... wish i could be in Israel with you.. sounds a little nuts but im sure id be the same way if i was there... whoo hooo! have fun

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>