Sunday, October 30, 2005

IS JUDAISM A QUESTION OF “KNOWING” OR “BELIEVING?”

There is a definite distinction between knowledge and belief, especially in regard to serving G-d. Knowledge is obtained through multiple proofs, whereas belief is a sort of trust gained through one’s own intuition.
There is a popular “machloket,” difference of opinion among Rabbis about which is the superior manner in which to serve our Creator. The first opinion stems from the verse, “Tamim tihiyu im Hashem Elokeichem = Be pure/perfect with the Lord, your G-d.” This verse connotes “Emunah Peshuta,” simple, yet complete belief. This belief suggests a certain naiveté, lacking the foundation of the understanding upholding such belief.
The second verse, “V’yadaata et Hashem Elokecha = And you should KNOW the Lord, your G-d,” denotes the necessity to have concrete knowledge of the Creator in order to serve Him properly. Another theme, “Hitbonenut,” is complete understanding that catapults one into the service of G-d from a knowledge standpoint.

There are two levels of service of G-d:

The first level, based on the verse, “Zeh Kaili V’anveihu =My G-d, and I appease Him,” depicts the single entity of (Anveihu) Ani V’hu = He & I, unified. The second verse, “Elokei Avi V’Aromimenhu = the G-d of my Father, and I exalt Him,” is defined to mean that since G-d is so much loftier than us, while not one with us, we exalt Him.
Well, the first is KNOWLEDGE and the second is BELIEF. Why? Because when one has knowledge of the Creator and then understands, he becomes one with Him. Belief is when the concept is so lofty, so incomprehensible, that only belief remains to be had.
So what is better, to believe wholeheartedly in Him or to obtain complete knowledge, to completely understand Him? Well there are pros and cons of both.

FAITH:
The pros would be that such a strong belief is above understanding, so that should one’s knowledge be challenged, one’s faith would still soar high above the odds. Faith has no boundaries, no limitations. The con would be that faith does not generate answers. Should a question be raised concerning one’s belief, faith is not a substantial answer to satiate the appetite for understanding. Also, belief is not everlasting. Why? Well, it might conflict with knowledge. (For instance, a thief might have complete faith that G-d will aid him in the success of his robbery.)

KNOWLEDGE:
The simple pro is that to obtain knowledge, one tries to learn and understand, challenging and improving his mind during the process. The only con is that there is a limit to how much one can retain in the mind and even less in achieving understanding.

The simple answer is that we need a healthy balance of both. We can Know a lot of things in philosophy, but without Belief, it is all in vain. How does this balance come into practice? “Until the horizon I will KNOW, and what I cannot see, I will BELIEVE.” Meaning, I will know what I understand, and all else I believe is true.

Belief is dependent on a source, while knowledge is based on one’s own arrival at personal understanding. The belief aspect is what is clearly “seen,” after the phrase, “seeing is believing.” Once one sees, it is engrained in Him as something that does not require proof. Understanding is where the mind is stubborn and requires proof in order to internalize it. Torah Knowledge consists of everything that has been proved in the negative, that it cannot be any other way, that there are no TWO G-ds and that He is not limited. The Belief is (in the positive) that there really is ONE G-d, limitless and eternal.

May we all merit to be strong in our Judaism, dependent upon the ingrained belief inherited from our ancestors, balanced with the understanding we each acquire on our own.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cousin,
Why are you calling youtrself Yoniqua? A bit confused about that. Anyway, you have an interesting argument about Knowledge and Faith. I think that is the grand dividing line between those who are observant and faithful, and those who choose to have a life based on knowledge and may be inclined to follow tradition. As you know, I am inclined toward the latter position. Judaism can be and is carved in several ways to fit each person's understanding and comfort with life. For me, I enjoy keeping the traditions that I was raised with in order to continue practicing Judaism the way I feel comfortable. This is with the knowledge of the practices. I will admit that aside from that, I do not have much knowledge about Judaism or G-d for that matter. I suppose this would be an opening for me to make some time to gain more knowledge, but at this point, it isnt a top priority for me. I am trying to enjoy and find happiness in my life, which according to my limited knowledge of Judaism, this is the only life I got. So in a way I am doing what I am supposed to be doing.
Anyway, thanks for the link. I hope that you are enjoying yourself and finding happiness in life. Talk to you later.

Joshua

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Josh! It's great to see that my family is checking this out... Feels good to know that my relatives have time to see what I've been up to.

You divided Jews into two groups:
- observant & faithful
- knowledge & tradition
I'm not sure if you are aware of what Chabad is all about, but we are taught a whole lot so that we are knowledgeable and then whatever we cannot gain enough information about to satisfy us, that is when FAITH kicks in. Faith as is TRUST that it is all TRUTH. Meaning, do you know what the Jews answered at Mt. Sinai?
They told G-d, "We will do, and then we will listen." They were prepared to accept the Torah and all its laws and only afterward to try to soak up as much information as possible.
We were all there, you know...

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>