Monday, February 19, 2007

A Student's Quest For Truth...

Shluchos is about answering questions among other things...
So here, I have decided to post the answers I gave to a student on campus here - I responded to his facebook note that he tagged me in, and then at this past Shabbat dinner, specifically asked me to provide complete answers.
I gave it a shot... Let me know what you think.

Questions:
1.) Why do you get out of bed every day?
2.) Why does it matter or hold importance to you in a way that motivates you?
3.) How do you treat others(both friends and strangers, preferably separate answers) ?
4.) Why do you treat them the particular way you do?
5.) How do you determine who is a friend and who is not?
6.) Aside from the obvious(breeding), what purpose is there for love and sex?
7.) What religion are you?
8.) How does this shape who you are?
9.) If you were given a choice after living a secular life up until your current age, would you still choose to follow the path you just listed in # 7?
10.) Do you feel as if you're under constant scrutiny, as if you'll be judged?
11.) Do you cover for yourself when people don't react how you expect?

1 – G-d has been good to us. He gave us life. And that is the only reason we are here – because He chose us to be. I get out of bed each day, because I know that I have a purpose in this world. I need to do my very best to live up to the expectations G-d has for me. I hope I fulfill my mission in this world, and do my best to represent Him in the work that I do. By utilizing every minute of our lives in the best way possible, we are serving our Creator. And it gives me no greater joy, knowing I am doing His Will.

2 – Goals give a person reason to live. When there was a period in my life when what G-d wanted of me wasn’t as important as what I wanted out of life, very little motivated me. Now, I thank G-d that I have prioritized my life, to try to live according to what I know is right.

3 & 4 – How do I treat others? Well, I know that every person is precious to G-d, so I try to respect everyone equally. Sometimes, people do things that make me respect them less, but I have to remember that they too, are here for a reason. Even when someone ACTS wrongly, his soul is still holy and dear to G-d.
Also, I personally like almost everyone. I seem to gravitate toward happy people, and make friends easily. I love people, and appreciate them. I try to, at least :)

5 – I have many friends. Some are “friends” like the ones who add me on facebook or who say “whats up” and keep on walking past me. Then there are acquaintances – people I’ve met but don’t know too well yet. Then there are people I’d call friends, who I continue to get to know and who continue to try to get to know me. I am blessed with some very close friends, who I trust with my thoughts, dreams, emotions, even my life. I try to befriend good people, because friends have the most influence on a person.

6 – Love is complicated. I love many things, I love people, and I love G-d. When you say, “I love you,” you have to think, “Do I love this person, or do I love the way this person makes me feel?” (example – “I love chicken” Do I really love the chicken? No, I love myself.)
Why is there so much pressure on relationships these days? Because, the human being has become ever so dependent upon how external forces. Therefore, we enjoy feeling needed, loved, cared for, and plain old “good”.
Sex today is not what it is meant to be. It has, has over time, become something far less holy than it should be. Sex should be something sacred, shared solely between a married man and his wife. Something discrete, unifying, and ultimately holy.
Sex has become a weapon, a tool, and a means to a destructive end. It is no longer valued as sacred, which is truly what sex is. Animalistic desires were also created by G-d, for He gave us free Will, to choose. And with our choices, we either strengthen our connection to Him, or, G-d forbid, sever it.

7 – I am Jewish. The sect of Judaism I identify with is that of Chabad.

8 – Judaism shapes who I am by giving me values and goals.
Chabad shapes who I am by giving me a positive, enlightening perspective and outlook on life.

9 – I have chosen to live my life the way I do. It was not forced upon me, I was guided, but ultimately, I chose to live my life the way I do. And I could not be more fortunate.

10 – I know that I represent Judaism in my line of work, but I also represent Jews 24/7. I try to be a good example to others, just to give them a glimpse of what a proud Jew is like. Because that’s what I am. I am proud to be Jewish. People judge. We all do it. But, if you are proud of who you are, what you represent, and where you are headed, it should not faze you. Rather, it should be a constant reminder to be on our best behavior!

11 – Since I am proud of who I am, a religious Jewish Chabad girl, I do not bend to negative influence, or reactions. I often explain myself. I explain what I represent, why it is a true way of life, and why I chose to live my life this way. Yet, if the person seems to be uninterested or close-minded, I don’t bother. I’m not out to get everyone to believe the way I believe, but I would love to show them!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yoniqua!!!

im so happy... i was waiting for you to post a new articel.

(hope my spellings are correct..)

i miss you and would love to hear from you!!!

keep up the good work!

Esti Thaler - Israel

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey yoni! thought u had moved to Seoul.... hehehe, Just kidding, but seriously, glad ur back and kickin!!!

now, as to the substantive part of ur post....um, er, I better leave that to a time when i'm sober :)

don't worry, i'll comment on that to bl''n

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now as to the substance of your post...

u probably want some kind of critique, but no matter how hard i try, it just seems to good! for a sec i thought u had taken it from manis freidman :)... but really excellent answers!!!

now, u wanna be my mashpia!?! don't worry, i pay well :)

!!

10:39 AM  
Blogger yoniQua said...

ST - cool to hear from you..
hows israel? facebook me or something, i think i saw your name floating around there somewhere...

LTF - ok.. high five.
id be flattered if i knew who u were... anyone can write that ya know...
and mashpia? umm i cant tell if ur serious.
thanks.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

high five? feh! i'm shomer negiah! :)

me serious? huh? would you please stop insulting me! :))

and if u know what's good for u, u had better be flattered! any compliment coming from me is worth it's weight in gold!

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>