Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Object of My Desire...

Fear and love are called, “the secret things known to G-d,” because people cannot tell/know the varying degrees of ‘yirat Hashem/love of G-d’ harbored in the hearts of others.
On the other hand, Torah and mitzvot/good deeds ARE revealed to us – because they are found in all Jews equally, for we all have the same Torah and one law – as for as actual performance is concerned. Jews all perform mitzvot in the same manner – for example: both the greatest and the smallest Jew put on the same tefillin.
So it is just love and fear that vary according to the knowledge of G-d in our minds and in our hearts.

The Zohar says, “My soul, I desire You at night.”

Shouldn’t it say, “My soul desires you,” or “I desire you?” Therefore, the Zohar explains that “my soul” refers to G-d, the Soul of all beings.

In effect, the Jew says to G-d, “You are my Soul, therefore I desire you,” or, “Since you, G-d, are my true soul and life, therefore I do desire You.” That is to say, “I long and yearn for You like a man who craves the life of his soul, and when he is weak and exhausted he longs and yearns for his soul to revive in him.

Truly, the pleasure of living is the greatest pleasure of all, and a man will forgo all manner of pleasure in order to stay alive.

Unfortunately, we, today, do not feel this pleasure of simply being alive because “a constant pleasure is not felt to be pleasurable.” However, when one is weak and tired, and his life-force is not as manifest as it should be, then he feels the desire to live and senses the pleasure of simply being alive.

That is why it says, “At night.” For, likewise when a person goes to sleep, at which time his life-force is in a state of concealment (a sixtieth of death), he longs and yearns for his soul to be restored to him when he awakens from his slumber.

So, where do you find YOURSELF on this ever-deepening, concealing evening?

1 Comments:

Blogger yoniQua said...

id like to personally thank st for allowing me to edit this before it went into the newsletter - st great job!

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>