Monday, July 10, 2006

Appreciation

I know I haven't posted in a really long time. Almost a month now, it's scary how much time has passed since that fateful day. A week from today will be the "shloshim" of Benny's passing. I'm going to try to figure out how I can incorporate something memorable and meaningful into my daily schedule for my campers to experience in his memory and honor. Any suggestions??

Well, one thing I am learning this summer. No, many things, but the main thing is appreciation. The next few things include: patience, commitment, selflessness, and devotion. I am obsessed with my job - giving 100% to these kids. Being head counselor has it's challenges (not problems, or dillemas!) but it is more rewarding than anything.

For example, on Gimmel Tammuz, the date marking the passing of our Lubavitcher Rebbe, I had the kids write "letters to Hashem" to place at the Rebbe's gravesite for him to personally bring the kids' prayers up to Him. You should have seen these notes the kids wrote. Each one was beautiful. Some kids even translated theirs into Hebrew or Yiddish. They brought tears to our eyes. Touched our souls. Made us adore them even more. This is why Hashem loves children most, has a special place for each of them in His heart. I have come to love these children so much. They are so special.

Now, about appreciation. This is something I myself struggle daily with here. It has more to do with me, than with the shluchim themselves. I just need to get over myself. The fact that I hear virtually no positive feedback from the Rabbi is really humbling me. I am very quickly learning that I am not here for Me, I am only here for the campers. Humbly, I have accepted this, braced myself against the criticism to be used constructively, and have really embraced my job and thrown myself into it. Now I know what it means to work hard.

Tell me what you think...
Have a terrific summer, and affect people!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello beautiful. i hear ya. kids are it. If only we could tap into our own purity, the part of us that is as innocent as any child, and remains completley unblemished by our pasts... then i guess we would reveal our connection to Hashem, the aspect of our relationship where He is our Father and we are His children, who just want to be close and safe. We try so hard to build this wall to protect ourselves, and its those intense life moments that force them crashing down and we can let all our emotions out. Those sensitive times are usualy when we feel closest to G-d, most dependent and connected.
Perhaps its G-d's way or saying... Hello! remember Me?

6:47 PM  
Blogger donewithit said...

Hey,
i know exactly what you mean! We had like a miny farbrengen with our campers, and told them whats goin on in israel, and let them write letters to the kotel ,and to the soldiers. You dont even understand how sweet and pure these letter were! Each one had so much meaning, and such truth-it brought tears to all our eyes too.
Even these not frum children have such belief- its really inspirational!
Children definately put you in your place.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>